by Mark Weber, M.Photog.Cr, M.Artist, CPP It’s almost Spring. Do you…
By Chris Wunder, Cr.Photog.
If you’re looking for a great add-on profit center for your studio business, consider Underclass School Photography.
- It’s one of the most profitable uses of your non-prime time. School photography programs are typically conducted on weekday mornings, usually Tuesday through Thursday, and often end by early afternoon. This is typically the “slow” time in your studio and provides maximum profit opportunities in the shortest length of time. Plus, many schools do programs twice a year—in the Fall AND Spring, so you double your potential.
- You will build a great database for your year-round marketing efforts. Collect customer information including addresses, phone numbers and even email addresses while marketing for school photographs. Parents of school-age children are your potential future clients for all types of family, senior and children’s photography. Collect all that data and put it to good use.
- You can greatly expand your market area. Since this school photography work is location-based, you can go get school account clients all over your area, not just those in close proximity to you. You’ll have a much wider range of business to take advantage of, which is particularly important if the competition is tight in your own area.
- Successful school photographers can have an enviable lifestyle. True, you’ll work hard for 2-3 months in the fall and spring, but there are many perks you’ll get to enjoy. Imagine having no weekend work, the ability to take off two months in the summer and have all school holidays off, including spring break. That’s lots of time to share with your family.
- Do it right and you’ll not only make great profits now, but you will develop a market segment that can provide an excellent retirement fund down the road. School photography businesses are in high demand as acquisitions by the large national companies. Build a significant number of accounts and sell off your school business when you’re ready to retire. You’ll get top dollar for the sale of these assets—far more than you most likely will for your studio business itself.
Click here for more information on how to get your start in the school photography business.